Search engine visitors - click here to
access entire "$ensible Home" web
Click to back to Main Tips List
Dulley's Money-Saving Tip #1009
Using your clothes dryer efficiently
(related column topic links - 444,
You can save a considerable amount of energy in your laundry room by using
your clothes less often and more efficiently -
- Always fill the clothes dryer to capacity, but do not overload it.
Overloading will increase drying time.
- Keep the screen in the dryer clean. Remove the lint after every load. Lint
buildup will impede the air flow through the dryer and increases drying time.
- Keep the outside exhaust vent of your clothes dryer clean. Check it
regularly. A clogged exhaust lengths the drying time and it can cause air leaks
into your home when the dryer is not running.
- If your dryer has an automatic dry cycle, use it. Overdrying merely wastes
- Dry your clothes in consecutive loads. Start-and-stop drying uses more
energy because a lot of heat goes into warming up the dryer to the desired
temperature each time you start it.